Thursday, September 23, 2010

Rob Zombie's The Lords of Salem (201?)


After a few weeks of teases, Rob Zombie has announced that the next flick he will write and direct will be The Lords of Salem. Haunted Films is producing - the companyrun by Jason Blum, Steven Schneider and Oren Peli(the Paranormal Activity crew).

The plot is said to revolve around modern day Salem, Massachusetts where "300-year-old witches haunt the town."

Zombie went on to say: "I wanted to break away from anything related to preexisting material. The remake train is getting pretty tired now and when I made Halloween, everybody complained, either that it was too much like the original or too different. I like that people either love or hate what I do because it's better than being in the middle, which means forgettable. But when you do an original premise, they take it on face value and after three years of not being able to win on Halloween, I just couldn't go through that again."

At the least, he's moved out of the white trash serial killer thing into a different type of horror. While I thought House of 1,000 Corpses was rather uneven and not great, and Halloween II was a disaster, I still think The Devil's Rejects is a solid flick. Hopefully he's learned his lesson and will improve with this project. However, I wish he would consider bringing in a co-writer or give up the actual writing duties to someone else.

Thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. Thank the film overlords it wasn't The Blob. He needs to just stick to music...something he is actually good at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think visually he has an eye for direction, but it's the stories that sometimes need a hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, JT! I think Rob Zombie is a very stong director. Halloween's story is weak, but the vissual structure is solid. The same could be said of all of Rob's films. I too likes The Devil's Rejects the best of all of his films, because it is the most original. Hopefully, The Lors of Salem will be too.

    ReplyDelete