Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Midnite Spook Frolic Winter Wonderland Horror Marathon 2009


Well, with my wife, the baby and my wife's family all upstairs making cookies and jamming to Christmas tunes, I think I'm going to sneak away and catch a few flicks.

Ahh, chillin' in a hoodie and shorts with a fire going, basking in the glow of the Christmas tree, and watching some holiday themed horror. Here's just a few flicks I'm going to try to get through today with several glasses of eggnog. Hmm, ok that last part is a lie since I can't stand eggnog since it tends to ruin perfectly good whiskey.

I'm not going to do full blown summaries and reviews (I'm lazy since I'm off for a week, sorry lol), and this is not an exhaustive list of holiday themed frigt, here's is what's showing in the Midnite Spook Frolic Winter Wonderland Horror Marathon today:

Jack Frost (1996)


Who doesn't love a killer snowman with an equally killer smile?

Silent Night, Deadly Night (1984)


I remember how "controversial" this flick was when I was a kid. Still an ok slasher film.

Black Christmas (1974)

Good solid film with Margot Kidder and Olivia Hussey, among other stars. Avoid the craptacular remake from '06 and stay scary with the original.

Christmas Evil (1980)

My favorite of the "killer Santa" films, this is a really low-key and quite disturbing character study of a very mentally ill man. Still stands up all these years later.

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (1964)

Perhaps my favorite of the holiday themed films, while not horror, it is sci-fi schlock at its best. Plus, it's in "blazing color!!!" Best known for starring a child Pia Zadora, this bizarre flick is an annual tradition in my household.

So, all you cool ghouls, if you have any of these, pull 'em out, fire up the media player of choice, grab a holiday beverage, and say "Cheers!" with me.

Scary Christmas to all and to all a good fright!!

1 comment: